It’s always hard to reserve tables at restaurants when it’s Father’s Day, so why not make dinner at home and celebrate there?! For this year’s Father’s Day I created two recipes for my dad – Zesty Prawn Jap Chae served in a pot and Pan fried tomato chutney chicken wings.
Zesty Prawn Jap Chae
8 large tiger prawns, 2 medium sized carrots sliced, 1 large head of broccoli chopped, one handful of jap chae, 1/2 white onion sliced, 2 cups of vegetable broth, 3 tsp lime juice, 4 tsp anchovy sauce, 3 tsp pesto, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tsp minced garlic
1. Sprinkle salt and grounded pepper liberally on the tiger prawns (this will give the shell some flavour)
2. In a large pot, pour 2 tsp of olive oil over high heat
3. Once the oil has heated up, sautee the onions and minced garlic for 5 minutes.
4. Dump in the prawns and fry it for 30 sec so that it absorbs the aroma from the onions and garlic. After 30 sec, pick the prawns out of the pot and set aside.
5. Now, add the carrots into the pot and vegetable broth and turn to medium heat. Allow the vegetables to cook for 15 minutes while covering the pot.
6. Meanwhile, soak the jap chae in cold water for 2 minutes.
7. Once the carrots have been cooked for 15 minutes, add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth in the pot along with the chap chae, broccoli, pesto, lime juice, anchovy sauce and soy sauce.
8. On high heat, let the jap chae and broccoli cook for 5 minutes with the pot covered.
9. After 5 minutes, add the prawns into the pot, and cover on high heat and allow the prawns to be fully cooked. (you may add more vegetable broth along the way depending on how much “soup” you want in the end)
…and you’re done!
Serves 2-3 people
1. In a medium sized bowl add the chopped chicken wings and marinate it with 3 tsp of dried garlic bits, 3 tsp of ground pepper and 3 tsp of salt.
2. In another medium bowl, pour in the crushed tomatoes, and add 2 tsp of salt as well as4 tsp of dried parsley.
3. In a medium sized pan place 2 tsp of olive oil on high heat and add the sliced onions. Sautee for 5 minutes and add the sliced yellow bell peppers.
4. After 2 minutes, add the chicken wings, pan fry until the skin turns brown.
5. Lastly, add in the tomato chutney and soy sauce, pan fry until the chicken is fully cooked.
..and you’re done!
Serves 2-3 people