Contrary to popular belief, I actually don’t mind not celebrating Valentine’s Day. So I decided, why not make dinner for the parents.
I present you..
Baked Herb Zucchinis with Cayenne Peppered Chicken White Wine Fusilli Pasta ……
(I didn’t know what else to call it)
Starting with the Herbed zucchinis
2 medium sized zucchinis, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 sprigs of fresh sage, 2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves (both chopped finely), 3 tsp of minced garlic, 1-1/2 tsp salt
preparing the herb oil:
1. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, sage, mint leaves, minced garlic, and stir.
2. Set aside for an hour
preparing the zucchinis:
1. Cut the zucchinis in semi-thin slices
2. in a large plate, spread them out evenly and add salt on both sides
3. Set aside for an hour.
(Adding salt to the zucchini will bring out excess water in the vegetable, so when you bake it, it’s crispier)
4. Once an hour has passed, use a paper towel to soak off any excess water.
5. Set your oven to 250 C.
6. Coat the zucchini with the herb oil you prepared earlier, and place the zucchinis onto the baking tray.
7. Pour the remaining oil all over the zucchinis.
8. Set the baking time for 10 minutes, flipping the zucchinis during half time.
9. Once they’re finished baking, you can sprinkle some salt and pepper for flavor.
Now moving onto the pasta,
3 strips of chicken breast chopped in cubes, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2tsp of chopped spring onions, 5 tsp of cayenne pepper , 2 tsp of minced garlic, 3 tsp of ground black pepper, 3 tsp of salt, 1 white onion chopped, 2 medium sized tomatoes diced, 1 celery stick chopped, 1/8 cup of white wine, 3 large handfuls of fusilli pasta
1. Marinate the chicken by combining the chopped chicken cubes in a bowl along with the olive oil, spring onions, cayenne pepper, garlic, black pepper and salt.
2. Set aside for an hour.
3. Once an hour has passed, prepare boiling water for the fusilli, add salt and olive oil.
4. Once it has boiled, pour in the fusilli pasta and let it cook for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a large pan on high heat put in 2 tsp of olive oil.
6. Once the oil is heated, pour in the onions, tomatoes and celery, allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
7. After 5 minutes, dump in the chicken as well, along with the white wine.
8. Add 1/4 cup of water, and reduce to medium heat allowing all the ingredients to simmer.
9. While that is going on, check that the pasta is cooked, once it’s cooked, you may now drain the water and set aside.
10. The water in your pan should now be reduced by 1/4, you should also check that all ingredients are fully cooked.
11. Now, pour all ingredients onto the fusilli, and toss it well.
12. Add salt and pepper according to your desired taste.
..and you’re done!